Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Request & Pick Up Items During COVID-19
Request & Pick Up Items from the Law Library during COVID-19
What is eligible to be borrowed?
- Circulating physical items may be borrowed if materials are not available online through the library’s electronic resources or through our current access arrangement with HathiTrust (guide for help accessing).
- Non-circulating items such as reference, periodical, microform, archives or “Library Use Only” are not eligible to be borrowed.
How does it work?
- As a UH patron, log into Primo
- Search for the title, then click “Request Specific Copy” for the physical item (unavailable online) you would like to borrow.
- After your request has been submitted, you will receive a Hold or Cancel letter, confirming if the item will or will not be processed.
- If the item can be retrieved electronically through HathiTrust or through another electronic means, your request will be cancelled and you will be directed to access your item that way. But if your item is only available as a physical copy, you will receive a Hold letter.
- If you receive a Hold letter, you will receive an email from the Law Library Circulation Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org) to schedule a time for you to pick up the item between Monday-Friday 10:00am-5:00pm. Expect to receive this email within 24 hours if your request is sent during the work week, or within 72 hours if your request is sent during the weekend.
- If you do not pick up the item during your scheduled time, we will cancel the hold and you must “Request Specific Copy” on Primo again. If you need to change your date and time of pick up, please give us 24 hours notice.
- If you have any questions, please contact the Law Library’s circulation desk at 956-7583.
Picking up your items
- Please bring your UH I.D. when you arrive at the library.
- Library window services will be able to assist you between 10:00am-5:00pm.
- Inform the front desk of the items you have come to pick up and show them your I.D.
- The staff will retrieve the items from the Holds Shelf and check them out to you before handing them over.
- Return items by placing them in the outside Book Return slot, to the left of the Law Library’s front doors.
For Law students and faculty seeking to check out items placed on course reserves,
- Log into the Law Library Primo and search by title.
- When you have found the item, click “Request Specific Copy,” and the library staff will retrieve it and place it on hold.
- You will receive a message that the item is ready for pick up at the front desk between Monday-Friday 10am-5pm. Please schedule your pick up date and time.
- Some Reserve items, such as Study Aids, can only be borrowed for 2 hours at a time. These items can only be borrowed while you are in the library. Alternatively, you could use the Law Library's eBook/Study Guide Collection, which includes CALI, Lexis Digital Library, Quimbee, Wolters-Kluwer Online Study Aids.
For Law Faculty requesting materials to be placed on course reserves, please visit the Law Library’s course reserves web page for instructions.
Masks are required when entering the library and interacting with the Law Library Staff. For those who enter our library, please disinfect and use wipes provided throughout the library to sanitize your hands, chair handles and table tops before and after using library surfaces and resources.