Skip to Main Content

Hawai`i Landlord -Tenant Law: Getting Help

This guide provides an overview of landlord-tenant law in Hawaii.

Residential Landlord-Tenant Center, Hawaii Office of Consumer Protection

Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 12 p.m. 

Days: Monday through Friday (except State holidays)

Oahu: ‚Äč586-2634 

From the neighbor islands (toll free):

Big Island: 974-4000, ext. 62634
Kauai: 274-3141, ext. 62634 
Maui: 984-2400, ext. 62634 (from Maui) 
Molokai & Lanai: 1-800-468-4644, ext. 62634 

Find an Attorney


If you wish to settle your dispute without going to court and without using lawyers, both parties can meet with a mediator from a community mediation center


Mediation Center of the Pacific
245 North Kukui Street, Suite 206
Honolulu, Hawai`i 96817
Telephone: (808) 521-6767
Fax: (808) 538-1454


Ku`ikahi Mediation Center
101 Aupuni Street, Suite PH 1014 B-2
Hilo, Hawai`i 96720
Telephone: (808) 935-7844
Fax: (808) 961-9727


Maui Mediation Services
J. Walter Cameron Center
95 Mahalani Street, Suite 25
Wailuku, Hawai`i 96793
Telephone: (808) 244-5744
Fax: (808) 249-0905


West Hawai`i Mediation Center
P.O. Box 7020
Kamuela, Hawai`i 96743
Telephone: (808) 885-5525
Fax: (808) 887-0525


Kaua`i Economic Opportunity, Inc.
Mediation Program

2804 Wehe Road
Lihu`e, Hawai`i 96766
Telephone: (808) 245-4077
Fax: (808) 245-7476





Hawaii Mediation Centers

Going to Court

All landlord-tenant cases are heard in Hawaii District Court.  The District Courts have jurisdiction over: 

  • Civil actions in which the debt, amount, damages, or value of the property claimed does not exceed $40,000 (but no jurisdiction over actions for libel, slander, defamation of character, malicious prosecution, false imprisonment, breach of promise of marriage, or seduction).
  • Summary possession (landlord-tenant) actions and related money damages claims and counterclaims, regardless of the amount claimed.
  • Small claims cases where the amount claimed does not exceed $5,000.
  • Petitions for temporary restraining orders (TROs) and injunctions against harassment involving parties who are not related to each other or in a dating relationship.  
  • Petitions by tenants against landlords for restraining orders against lockout and utility shut-off.