Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Keycard Access Policies
24/7 Keycard access is currently available for Law Students.
- All enrolled Law Students will be given an opportunity to have a Law Library Access Card, which allows them 24/7 access to the law library beyond public patron access.
- To get an Access Card, enrolled students must attend the Law School and Law Library Orientations. During these orientations, you will receive a keycard orientation and fill out a registration form. The Law Library must first be notified by the school registrar of all enrolled students before we can prepare their keycards.
- All applicants must demonstrate that they have uploaded their Vaccination Card or their weekly COVID-19 test results to the UH LumiSight app/website.
- Access card orientations are offered during the beginning of the school year, or upon scheduling an appointment with the Public Services Manager.
- It is imperative that keycard holders follow all rules for everyone's safety. If rules are broken, your keycard can be taken away. The consequences can affect your academic standing and professional reputation. Especially during the COVID pandemic, law library patrons must wear masks and maintain 6 feet distance at all times. Please observe and follow the signs in the library.
- When graduating or leaving the Law School, the keycard must be returned to the Law Library. Please mail it back, with your name and UH ID, to 2525 Dole Street Honolulu, HI, or drop it off at the front desk or in the book return slot. If not, there will be a $25 fine on your account and you may have your transcripts blocked.
- If you want to extend your keycard access after graduation for Bar Exam Study, please contact the library for a keycard extension form.
- If you want to regain access to the Law Library as a working law professional, see our policies for the Hawaiʻi State Bar Association & Law Firms.
For any questions, please contact the Public Services Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 956-7583.
Building Rules for Patrons with Keycard Access
University of Hawai’i School of Law Library
Rules for Keycard Access
Admission to the Law Library by keycard is limited to currently admitted law school students and certain law school faculty and staff. You must return your keycard to the Law Library when you are no longer a currently enrolled law school student or employee. Failure to return the keycard to the Law Library will result in a replacement fine. By accepting this keycard, you agree to the Law Library policies for library usage, you are responsible for keeping this keycard secure, and agree not to allow others entry using your keycard.
Entrance Door: Use ONLY the front single door (marked with Handicapped logo) for both entry. Wave the card close to the card detector located next to the door. Ensure the door is fully closed after entering and exiting the building, i.e. pull and push on it until it sticks when exiting the building. At closing, everyone must exit the building and reenter using their keycard.
- Lights: To turn on the lights, go to the light switches located to the left of the entrance door as you come into the building. If you are the last person in the building, please turn off all the lights when you exit.
- Security: Do not open or respond to people knocking on the doors. Only the holder of a keycard is permitted entry after regular law library operating hours. If you witness any suspicious behavior in the Law Library, please call security at (808) 956-6911.
- UH ID: Keep your UH Identity card with you at all times. Campus Security will be patrolling the building and may ask to see your ID. You must present it when requested.
- Troubleshooting: Do not attempt to refill paper, toner, or perform any troubleshooting. If there is a problem, send an email to: email@example.com.
- Windows: Do not open any windows in the library. If the library is cold, bring warm clothing. If the air conditioning is not working, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Library Material: Checking out material must be done during regular library hours. No material maybe removed from the library without prior permission.
- Unauthorized Person: If you discover any unauthorized person in the library, do not confront him/her. Call Campus Security at (808) 956-6911. If you do not have a phone, there is a campus phone by the elevators near the parking structure directly outside of the library lanai.
- Emergencies, Power Outages, Fire Alarm: Call Campus Security at (808) 956-6911. If you do not have a phone, there is a campus phone by the elevators near the parking structure directly outside of the library lanai.
- Lost Keycard: Report a lost keycard immediately to the Law Library in order to deactivate the device and prevent unauthorized people from entering the building after normal operating hours. The holder of the lost keycard will incur a replacement cost and be issued a new keycard.
Failure to adhere to the Rules for Keycard Access will result in forfeiture of your keycard with extreme prejudice (that means you will not be given a second chance). These rules are subject to modification as needed to accommodate changing needs and circumstances.